The creative act is the synthesis and manifestation of an artist’s unique take on their collected experiences, influences, and inspirations.
The artist, then, benefits immensely from exposure to as much creative stimulus as possible, but must actively assess what experiences and creative tools to utilize.
Today’s round table is the first in a series which delves into abook about this very process.
Austin Kleon’s "Steal Like an Artist" details thoughts and strategies for engaging in life to accrue inspiration and artistic influences.
Each episode in this series will examine one or more chapters as a springboard for discussion on the very Stage Hackers-esque concept of stealing like an artist.
Join us for today’s episode on Chapter One: Steal Like an Artist.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn About:
- Discerning what is and isn’t worth stealing as an artist
- Finding freedom in the fact that “it’s all been done before”
- The artist as collector rather than hoarder
- Exposing yourself to art and inspiring people
- Cultivating curiosity about work and conventions that inspireyou
- Investigating your creative lineage
- Taking advantage of modern resources for education
- Capitalizing on your personal learning methods
- Shared successes and positive competition
Links, Books, & Resources
- Steal Like an Artist (book)
- Show Your Work (another book by Austin Kleon)
- The Steal Like an Artist Journal (a journal by Austin Kleon)
- Austin Kleon speaks at Google
- Austin Kleon's website
- Austin Kleon on Twitter
- Austin Kleon on Facebook
- Audible (audio books - 30 day free trial + 2 free downloads)
- Google Books
- Google Scholar
- Joseph Campbell’s The Power of Myth (book)
- Jim Rohn's website
- Margolis Method's website
- Stage Hackers Mindset Episode 19
Thanks for Joining Us at the Round Table!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Stage Hackers to get automatic updates.
Also, please leave an honest rating and review for this podcast. These are incredibly helpful for the rankings of the show. We appreciate it so much and read every one we get.
We look forward to sharing new episodes with you every Monday and Wednesday.
Keep hacking the stage!